The following benefits are available to an honorably discharged U.S. Veteran:
- A burial allowance of up to $300 will be paid to the funeral home if the veteran was receiving V.A. compensation, pension or was properly hospitalized by the Veteran’s Administration.
- A cemetery space in a federally operated cemetery.
- A $150 burial plot allowance is payable if the deceased veteran was discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, in receipt of compensation or pension at the time of death, was properly hospitalized by the V.A. or was buried in a state cemetery if the plot has not been paid for. If the plot has been paid for, the allowance will be paid to the funeral home.
- A flag for the funeral services.
- A government grave marker where there is no family marker.
- Transportation costs, if the veteran died in a V.A. facility.
- A burial allowance of up to $1500.00 when death was due to a service connected disability.
Under some circumstances there are survivors’ benefits for spouses and minor children.